Every project has a story. Here are three.
A tech startup that allows customers to text money to each other from their bank accounts, XipWire asked Plasmic Studio to develop all of its initial branding and marketing materials.
Though XipWire is a tech business, they wanted a logo that was fun and friendly. The final logo concept was selected from five concepts, winning out primarily because of the hidden “x” in the space created by the mobile phone icons.
The card was built around the colors and shapes of the logo. The back of the card features a variation of the logo’s colors on a solid background. Because these cards were often given out at student events designed to build up an initial user base, a simple signup call to action was added to the bottom.
Plasmic Studio developed various event signs for XipWire’s signup events, which usually occurred in or around colleges in Philadelphia.
The challenge of the XipWire website was the variety of information that it could potentially be shown based on whether or not the visitor was an existing customer. Plasmic Studio developed a several variations of the home page based on these factors. Once the main pages were locked down, the rest of the site was developed.
XipWire needed an interactive demo showing the simplicity of their service. Plasmic Studio created a dynamic demo showing two phones interacting.
The client was able to create multiple demos for different purposes by modifying simple XML files on their website.
As another measure to demonstrate XipWire’s functionality, the client requested an infographic. Like the other elements, this illustration needed to be fun and friendly, and had to highlight how simple – and yet how safe – the service was. Cartoon illustrations of two XipWire users were created, and the image showed the process of how one would text funds to the other. The client liked the final product so much that they incorporated it into a video.
Since the band had been using their existing logo for several years, they didn’t want to change it. However, because they’d developed it themselves, we needed a clean, vector version to work with. I went back and found the original font they’d used and recreated the logo in Illustrator, carefully matching the colors and spacing from the original version.
The band had outgrown their original website, which they’d developed using their host’s sitebuilder tool. Because bands need to update their information frequently, I recommended we build their new site with WordPress. They agreed. I developed a new site, pulling in existing content and reformatting and supplementing as needed.
The website was developed around a simple, kid-friendly interface, with each page featuring a different animation of the band members in action. Once we launched the site, I created a maintenance guide and turned it over to the band, so they could make updates on their own.
Although the band already had a press kit when we began working together, like their other existing materials, it needed a visual refresh. As with the website, I culled information from the previous version, cleaned up all photos, and created a new document with a look and feel consistent to the other material I’d developed.
The band had been scheduled to play a showcase in New York for booking agents across the country. They initially asked me to edit a promo video for this event using existing live footage. Instead, I suggested that I shoot interviews with the band, and edit them together with the existing material I set up a two-camera shoot with pro lighting and sound, wrote questions and interviewed the band, then edited the new material in with the existing live footage.
The client requested a logo that would have a classic feel, but with an organic component as well. Four concepts were developed, each with a color scheme in the brown/tan/black range. Once the final version was selected, I made several rounds of revisions to the image portion to give the stones the irregular edge he wanted.
The business card was designed to feature the logo prominently. The same typeface from the logo was used for the contact information, with the elements centered for a classic feel. The stone pattern was repeated on the back of the card as a watermark.
Like the business card design, I used a centered layout for the Natural Selections Stone website. Classic design elements were carried through the header, tabs, and navigation buttons. The greatest hurdle on this site was organization: I went through over three hundred high-res project photos the client provided, retouching, color-correcting, sizing and cropping them for the site. Product sample images were also included, broken down by category and shown with a description and product number.
To maintain contact with the architects and home builders that compose his customer base, the client asked for my help in developing an e-mail newsletter campaign. I researched platforms and settled on MailChimp. After the client had signed up for the service, I developed a set of templates that he could populate with headlines, project photos, and descriptions, sending them out on his own each week. The campaign has been successful, allowing him to show off his latest projects to past and potential clients, so that he’s top of mind with them when they need to develop their designs and purchase building materials for their own customers.